Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Insert random dutch oven chicken recipe here...

This isn't a cooking blog, but this recipe is so yummy and so easy, I just felt like sharing it.  Oh and if you don't have a dutch oven, I highly recommend running out (this very instant) and getting one!

You'll need the following items (no exact measurements, you decide)...

1 Dutch Oven
1 Whole chicken (I buy a 4 pound bird and it feeds my family of 5)
Fingerling potatoes (or any kind of small potato that you prefer)
1 Onion (cut in to pieces)
Some fresh garlic
Salt
Pepper
Fresh poulry herb blend (sold in the produce section - looks like the picture to the right).
Some vegetable or olive oil.
A bottle of white wine.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the vegetable/olive oil on the stove top, in the dutch oven.  Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown.  In the meantime, prepare your chicken - take the inside bag of stuff out, rinse the chicken, shove the entire packet of fresh herbs up the chicken's butt (minus the plastic packaging), salt and pepper the outside of the bird.  When the garlic and onions are a golden brown, throw in some wine.  I ususally use a half a bottle - don't judge, just enjoy!  Throw in the potatoes and put the chicken in on top of the potatoes.  At this point, decide whether or not you need more wine...  I'm not even kidding, I've used an entire bottle in this recipe before.  Put the lid on the dutch oven and put it in the oven.  I've found that for a 4 - 4 1/2 pound chicken, the cooking time is around 1 1/2 hours. 


That's all there is to it!  Super easy and my entire (picky) family loves it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment