Monday, June 6, 2011

Genetics

You always hear about how it's a good idea to know someone's financial history before getting married.  I guess that's a good idea (not something that I did though and I guess I lucked out).  What I've never heard discussed is, checking in to someone's mental and physical health history.  I mean, I think this should even be part of someone's dating profile.  You may want to reproduce with this person eventually and it's something that's super important...  yet, I've never heard anybody talk about it. 
It's like playing Russian Roulette...  my family, both sides, has no history of mental health issues, heart disease, cancer, strokes, etc...  My grandparents all died of old age and my parents are alive and well.  My husband's family is a health disaster.  So, now I worry about my kids.  Did they get lucky and inherit my families good health or will they have to deal with some major health issues?
I'm not saying that I wouldn't have married my husband, but I am saying that maybe full disclosure is a good idea if you're planning on having children.  Maybe it's a good thing to know up front, before you fall in love and your judgement gets clouded.  I mean, these are MAJOR issues.  If someone's finances are considered important, I would definitely say that the strength of their medical history should count for something as well.
Deep thoughts by Spumoni...  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment